Britam's Commitment to Customer Privacy
- Britam is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of its customers' personal and private information ("customer information") submitted to Britam via www.britam.com (“website”) and https://buyonline.britam.com/ ("the/this buy online portal"). This privacy and security policy ("this policy") outlines Britam's practices and commitment to the customer in this regard.
- Britam knows that you expect a high level of privacy and security for the personal information that you have shared or intend sharing with us. This privacy notice is designed to inform you of the types of information we collect from our customers, how we use that information, and the circumstances under which we will share it with third parties.
Choice and Consent of the Customer
- The decision to provide Britam with certain customer information via our buy online portal is always up to you as the customer. However, It should be noted that in financial dealings, withholding certain information may limit the services Britam is able to offer you.
- Britam will not collect or use your information without obtaining your consent as required under law. In respect of all marketing activities related to Britam services or products, consent to collect or use your information will be obtained from you, the customer.
- The type of information you will be asked to provide will vary according to the product or services required.
What customer information is collected?
- Information requirements may vary depending on the Britam products and services to which a customer subscribes. Customer information in general refers to personal information submitted to Britam via the website or buy online portal that identifies or relates to an online visitor or customer, whether they are an individual or a business. This information includes but is not limited to your name, address, date of birth, identification numbers, financial information, and contact details
Maintenance of accurate information.
- Britam continues to establish procedures designed to ensure that the customer’s non-public personal information is as accurate and complete as possible, in accordance with reasonable standards. If you believe that our records contain inaccurate or incomplete information about you, please notify us via our customer service email address email@example.com, or log in the Britam Customer App or Buy Online Portal in order to make the necessary amendments.
Why does Britam collect customer information?
- Britam uses customer information to identify the customer, to offer better online services and to contact you in the event of any query. In the event we make any new enhancements on the portal, we will need your information to keep you updated. Britam also uses customer information to bring to your attention details of Britam’s other services and products. The more we know about you, the better we can serve you.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, such as anti-money laundering and fraud prevention;
What are your rights in relation to your personal information?
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- The right to access and receive a copy of your personal information;
- The right to rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information;
- The right to erasure of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- The right to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- The right to data portability, which allows you to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (ODPC) if you believe that we have processed your personal information in violation of applicable data protection laws.
If you wish to exercise your rights, please contact us using the details below (see section below ‘How can you contact us?’).
How long does Britam keep your personal information?
- We keep your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by law. We may also retain your personal information for a longer period if necessary for legal or regulatory reasons, such as to defend against a legal claim or for tax purposes.
How does Britam safeguard your information?
- Keeping your financial information secure is one of Britam’s most important responsibilities. This policy governs the behavior of employees with regard to accuracy, confidentiality and security of all customer information.
Sharing of customer information with third parties
We may share your personal information with:
- Other companies within the Britam Group, for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice;
- Third-party service providers who process personal information on our behalf, such as IT providers, payment processors, and marketing agencies;
- Where permitted by applicable law, Britam may share Personal Information with other third parties, for example, other insurers, reinsurers, insurance and reinsurance brokers, other intermediaries and agents, Regulators, law enforcement agencies, and other public authorities;
- Credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies for the purposes of verifying your identity, assessing creditworthiness, and preventing fraud;
- Our professional advisors, such as lawyers, auditors, and accountants; and
- Any other third party with your consent or as permitted by law.
Britam Customer shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that the confidentiality of your information is maintained by imposing strict confidentiality requirements on all the third parties with whom we may part with the information. In addition, third parties chosen by any member within the Britam Holdings Plc are taken through strict due diligence processes in order to ensure that customer information is handled securely
Opting out of Marketing push messages.
- In case, you don’t wish to be disturbed via any tele-calling marketing activities, you may register this request by calling our customer service team on 0703094000 or writing to us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Help contribute to the protection of your information
Britam advocates that you help maintain the security of your personal information by taking the following steps:
- Not sharing your ID or password with anyone
- Changing your password regularly
- Remembering to sign off after an online session
- Not leaving your computer unattended while conducting online transactions
- Reporting lost or stolen cards
- Helping us maintain accurate records by letting us know when your circumstances change so that we can update our records accordingly
- Not sending any confidential information via non-encrypted e-mail
- Not supplying your personal and financial information to any site you do not know or trust
How can you contact us?
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about the way your Personal Information is used by us, you can contact us by email or post using the details below.
Email: email@example.com or write to Data Protection Officer, Britam Holding Plc, Britam Tower, Hospital Road, Upper hill, Nairobi
Right to Amend this Privacy Statement
- Britam reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. All amendments to this policy will be posted on the website (www.britam.com). Unless otherwise stated, the current version shall supersede and replace all previous versions of this policy.